Gmail hacked?

by Karoli on July 10, 2006 · 7 comments

Update: Reports of similar problems on Google:

Gosh, I hate to sound paranoid, but at 8AM today my GMail account was operational and fine.

At 10 AM today I suddenly cannot access my email because it won’t accept my password. After an extraordinarily frustrating hour of trying to find out why I cannot access my account (and when I email for a password refresher I am told there is no account with my reported secondary email?), I have reported a security breach to Google.

I’m not the only one. There are several reports of similar problems in Google groups.

Now, it could just be a weird outage on their side…(though I was able to log into all over family members’ gmail accounts just fine). Or not.

Anyone seeing reports of issues with Gmail? Leave a comment…because even paranoids have real enemies. :)

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 hihi July 19, 2006 at 4:50 pm

atm (20 07 2006 00:50)
GMAIL :))
/…

Server Error

We’re sorry, but Gmail is temporarily unavailable. We’re currently working to fix the problem — please try logging in to your account in a few minutes.

2 hihi July 19, 2006 at 4:54 pm

wow … i need to set the date && time LOL ..but still ..gmail is “server error” :))

3 toots September 14, 2006 at 1:47 pm

i had this problem last night and freaked cos i thought my techno savvy ex husband had hacked into my mailbox to find out where me and the kids were
any advice??
is desperate situation!!
gmail gave me the same shit and even asked for my original reg details which were in the inaccessible account!!

4 drumsnwhistles September 14, 2006 at 2:47 pm

Hi toots…

I just had a look at the Google Accounts Troubleshooting Group and it looks like there are some real GMail glitches going on.

People are reporting that their account is receiving email for other people, that they can get into their account but can’t click links, their timestamps are wrong, etc.

Also, gman36 had a similar issue with his GMail that was the result of upgrading Zone Alarm Pro

I found soulution i figured out when i upgraded zone alarm pro, was
last i accessed my gmail, so i found this

So what I’d do is start with your side of things — was there a security update to your computer or anti-virus program? If so, try searching the help area for a workaround.

If that doesn’t work, then have a go at logging in using one of these URLs:

HTML: http://mail.google.com/mail/h/
Secure: https://mail.google.com/mail/

If those don’t work, then use this page https://services.google.com/inquiry/gmail_security1 to report it again. If you don’t have your original invitation (like me), then just leave those blank. The really important field is the one at the bottom where you tell them exactly what you wrote here — that you don’t have that information anymore, that you need to reset the password and security question, and you need access to be able to do that.

Be SURE that you give them an email address they can respond to right away.

Good luck.

Come back and let us know how it goes,

DnW

5 toots September 15, 2006 at 10:35 am

d and w
thx so much for that advice
couldn’t get in with the addresses so sent a new security report
will def let you know how the gmail team respond
assuming they do!