Is Lori Drew Still Aiming at Megan Meier?

by Karoli on November 29, 2007 · 9 comments

I don’t know. You decide. There was a trackback link from Right Voices on my first post that pointed back to “MeganHaditComing’s” post that I referred to in my original post about Megan Meier. On Monday, a new post went up on the blog, and frankly it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from a teenager. It is also so targeted, so direct, in its blatant effort to self-justify what Lori Drew did that it smacks of the same behavior she engaged in on MySpace with Megan. Given that she’s been given the “get out of jail ticket”, I’m sure she feels free to repeat the same behavior. Oh, and the police were a bit more specific with the New York Times about why Lori Drew’s actions were not a crime…

But a St. Charles County Sheriff’s Department spokesman, Lt. Craig McGuire, said that what Ms. Drew did “might’ve been rude, it might’ve been immature, but it wasn’t illegal.”

I’d like to ask Lt. McGuire if he’d have characterized similar action by a man the same way. But back to Lori Drew…

The abridged version of the latest blog post:

The Intro: No Blame But Megan’s

When the grief counselor came to our school last year and spoke to us, she said over and over again that Megan’s death was the fault of nobody but Megan.

[snip]

She said it was a tragedy, but something like “there’s no way to predict when or why a depressed person would end her own life. In the end no one but Megan can be held responsible for Megan’s suicide.”

Part 1: My older brother said I should post these

Here’s where things get really weird. Whoever wrote this blog post selectively chose comments and responded to them in her post. Even more strange, her cheerleading responses are written in black on a background that is about two shades off from black, so you’d have to really look to see them. Here are some excerpts:

The Megan Meier ain’t no victim series:

COMMENT: You people talk as if this was a 5 or 6 year old girl who didn’t know better….please. She knew what she was doing. She got fooled this time! SHE IS NOT THE VICTIM. Quit speaking about her as if she was…..So ignorant!
RESPONSE: Good answer!

COMMENT: As any other 13+ year old I wrote my fair share of angst, and I had various comments, including ones that told me to kill myself, that I was worthless, etc. I’ve had people tell me to kill myself, and yet I’m still here. At 13, I was smart enough to simply step away from the computer. I mentioned earlier that I had made a suicide attempt, but the attempt was made due to reasons well beyond what someone said on the internet.
RESPONSE:Smart girl you rock!

The Lori Drew Fan Club:

COMMENT: Lori didn’t tell Megan to hang herself. Lori didn’t put the belt around her neck, didn’t fasten it to the closet. The evidence is scant that it was indeed Lori who sent the message that Megan allegedly found so hurtful.
Yet, there is an internet mob which insists that despite all these facts, Lori is guilty of the murder of Megan Meier. The internet mob has repeatably harassed Lori Drew, to the point where the police have expressed concern. The internet mob has also demanded the prosecution of the author of this blog for unnamed crimes. This is bullshit, and of course I stand against it.

RESPONSE: Jeff is one of the most level headed people here. I think you should read his comments where he debates a psycho mommy bitch (probably Tina) and hands her ass to her! Right on!

The response above, by the way, is one that I find the most telling.

The “I hate anyone who disagrees” series:

COMMENT: It’s quite obvious you don’t know what you’re talking about. Did you even know Megan? If not, you have no opinion worth listening to
RESPONSE: Oh really, Angel? Did any of YOU people commenting here condemning her and me even know Megan? Well, if not, none of you have an opinion worth listening to, according to Angel.

III. The Parting Shot:

So there you go. Megan was a skank who had her myspace pwning coming and when the shallow bitch realized that her trophy bf was fake, and everyone knew it, she went WAYYYYYYY over the edge and killed herself.

No one’s fault but Megan’s.

One final shot links to another blog which appears to be a tit-for-tat retailiation against the bloggers who outed Lori Drew. I won’t link it.

At first I was inclined to think “Troll”. Since I had my very own troll visit to my Lori Drew post, it’s not unreasonable. But that troll would’ve trolled on his own site — he’s not afraid to express himself. I absolutely do not believe the author of this blog post is a teenager. Too much effort to sound like a teenager with giveaways like the “mommy bitch” response. That’s not how a teenager would do it, there are none of the characteristic text-speak abbreviations, and it was posted at 11:34 AM, which would have been during school hours. Blogger and Blogspot are routinely blocked from school computer access.

If it is Lori Drew, it’s just a matter of time before she does something horrible to someone else to ‘protect her precious’. If it’s a troll, the entire blog will likely disappear as soon as the blogstorm has passed.

The reason I’m blogging it? Because my gut tells me this is probably not a troll, but someone in that ‘inner circle’, and given Lori Drew’s lack of hesitance to abuse people on the Internet behind the cloak of anonymity, it could easily be her. That blog post was posted the day after the candlelight vigil that ended across the street from the Drew’s house on the greenbelt. It would be unsurprising that in her narcissistic, hedonist fashion, she’d be going crazy about not being able to respond. What better way than an anonymous shot in the milieu she understands best?

Megan, rest in peace. If it’s a troll, it’ll evaporate. If it’s Lori Drew, she’s just shoveling a deeper and deeper hole for herself.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

{ 8 comments }

1 Donna November 29, 2007 at 6:48 am

That is just creepy.

2 Joel November 29, 2007 at 2:14 pm

The “it wasn’t anyone’s fault except Megan’s” is a canned line that grief counselors like to use. It’s an example of legalism invading psychology. I am sure that it has a good purpose — helping those who didn’t see it coming or who had had cross words with her lately — but Lori Drew’s campaign was calculated and cold-hearted.

There may be a remedy under the telecommunications laws of this nation. I think Lori Drew should be held accountable and the grief counselor reined in.

3 natalie December 1, 2007 at 7:51 pm

lori drew is disusting. she is going to hell. she should definitely go to jail, she is the reason that girl is dead….how can she live with herself?? how can her family even LOOK at her!! im sure her husband will divorce her, if not, he is just as weird as she is. what middle aged woman does this crap to a 13 yr old on myspace??? she is a sorry excuse for a human being.

4 beth December 1, 2007 at 7:53 pm

LORI DREW IS A FAT DISUSTING NASTY EVIL PERSON. I AGREE, HOW THE HECK DOES HER FAMILY LOOK AT HER?? SHE MUST BE AN EMBARRASMENT TO HER WHOLE FAMILY!!! I HOPE SHE ENDS UP ALONE, DEPRESSED AND…U KNOW THE REST.

5 kelly December 1, 2007 at 8:45 pm

add this myspace, check it out

6 Danny Vice December 2, 2007 at 1:46 pm

The naming of Lori Drew has sparked quite a debate indeed. Some major news outlets have chosen to name the perpetrator(s) behind this story such as the New York Times. Some have chosen not to. The mainstream media however has concluded that the blogging community should shoulder the responsibility of first naming the perpetrator behind this story.

The first question I have in this debate is simple. What is new here? Since before the French Revolution, the media has been used to ‘out’ individuals who’s actions seem to bear public relevancy in some way.

Although Lori Drew has not yet been charged in the case of Megan Meier, the media has never required formal charges to be made before running a story. In the case of some journalist like Dan Rather, some media outlets run with stories before even confirming that they’re true.

In this particular case, media outlets that have chosen to withhold Lori Drew’s identity have done so in consideration of other Drew family members.

I’m wondering if by doing this, the media plans to always withhold the names of interesting persons who outrage the community, if those persons have children. This would certainly be quite a ground-breaking event

Right at this moment, there is a story of a cop who is under investigation in the strange death of one wife and the disappearance of another. The cop in the story has a family, yet the media huddles outside his home relentlessly.

I could go back and list thousands of stories where the media wasted no time in delivering the names and occupations of individuals that were later cleared of any wrong-doing. I’ve never heard of another instance where the media apologized for naming names.

Don Henley’s ‘Dirty Laundry’ certainly applies well to conduct of most major news outlets.

Lori Drew is a primary subject of the story, she is not a rape victim, and is not a minor. Identifying her breaks no new ground, nor does it deviate from what news outlets do on a daily basis.

I also remind readers that her name and her role in the Megan Meier tragedy were documented as public record. A public record that Lori filed on her own accord. This is a critically important fact in this debate.

News outlets, bloggers and the general public were handed Lori’s name and Lori’s own self admissions when she herself filed that police report and sought to elevate the entire situation into the public domain.

Had Lori Drew simply acknowledged what she did was wrong, and apologized – the police report that identified her may have never been filed, and the entire situation may have well been kept at the lowest profile.

Will we see the media write about this? Not likely.

Danny Vice

7 Dayna Pickett December 4, 2007 at 7:14 am

Lori Drew must be a terribly disturbed human being. It is unfathomable that an adult would intentionally pose as a teenage suitor just to see what what being said about her own daughter. What is even more distressing is the negative comments that she, an “adult,” posted about Megan. Instead of teaching her child that life isin’t always fair and to deal with it responsibly, Ms. Drew acted immaturely and with malice.

It is ashame that Lori Drew feels that none of this is her fault. She is to shallow and self absorbed to understand others feelings. My heart goes out to Megan’s family.

D. Pickett

8 Danny Vice December 9, 2007 at 7:51 pm

While the Megan Meier case seems outrageous and unique, it isn’t unique. Hundreds of cases of egregious and heinous acts go on every day with the same excuses out of our lawmakers.

One such other case….The case of Nikki Catsouras, is a classic example of disgusting, hateful activity against innocent victims, while our lawmakers excuse themselves from enacting laws to prevent this.

The excuse lawmakers use to let themselves off the hook stem from the growth of the Internet and how fast it’s changing. This is a sham.

Chat rooms, message boards, instant messengers and email have been in existence for far over a decade now. While the software used to transmit messages changes slightly, the basic essence of using the Internet to send a message is largely the same. Is a decade or two long enough to establish some basic decency laws in regards to Internet usage?

I’ve posted the Nikki Catsouras story along with many details about the Megan Meier case so the inactivity out of our lawmakers towards these types of cases can be clearly seen.

Those who are interested in learning about cases like Megan’s and Nikki’s case are encouraged to drop by and comment on them if you like. I have a couple of polls set up as well. Danny Vice would like to hear your point of view.

Public awareness of the problem and discussions about possible solutions are the best way to pressure elected officials into action instead of excuse making.

I invite you to come by and share your opinion.

Danny Vice

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }